My plant was brutalized by neighbors dog. What can I do?


A little background.
My fiance and I have had a rough year. I won’t go in to detail. I lived on an island for years and he loves the beach. Since we can’t make it to the beach as often as we’d like, I figured it’d be nice to get a small palm tree for the yard. I waited until we found our own place. We finally found a nice duplex, the neighborhood is great, so are the neighbors. So I finally bought the plant. I named him Jacobi 🙂 He was thriving well until the neighbors dog tore through the fence (again). I woke this morning and took the dog out, went to water Jacobi and he was gone. I asked my fiance if he had seen moved him. He hadn’t. I investigated the yard a bit because there’s no way someone could jump our tall fence. I found the bottom watering plate next to soil (Jacobi’s remains!). I like my neighbors but I loved my plant 🙁 I don’t know what to say to them about this. We’ve already asked them to fix the fence. Their big dog has gotten through before and tried to eat our Pomeranian. I don’t know what I can do in this situation. I’m angry. I hardly ever get angry.

Any advice would be appreciated :/
Thank you all for the advice. I do not want to report the dog as the neighbors treat him poorly. I’d rather report the owners. I plan to speak with them and yes I’ll handle it delicately. I don’t want to ruin the relationship I have with them but I’ll be damned if I let them get away without taking responsibility for the actions of their pet.

Other Dog Fence Sites Online

10 Responses to “My plant was brutalized by neighbors dog. What can I do?”

  1. Kira R says:

    You have already tried to take it to your neighbors to handel it like adults. Since they can’t handle that, it is time to report the dog. Call animal control.

  2. hillarystarbright says:

    Definitely report the dog and get the neighbors to pay for the damage to your fence, your yard and your plant. If they refuse to pay for it voluntarily, sue them in small claims court for the cost of everything their dog ruined.

  3.!! says:

    call the animal dept in ur city to come pickup the neighbors dog n use the reason that it is a nuisance n a danger to u n ur property n ur pets n ur children [if any]!! show them where it is getting in n tell the officer that u have requested personally that the neighbor do something about it n they have ignored ur requests. document everything u can.

  4. ci50158 says:

    You can get over it.

  5. scott says:

    Call Animal Control and file a complaint. Tell them about the fence and that their dog is destroying your property. Animal Control will issue them a warning to repair the fence and a deadline for the repairs to be completed. If the fence is not fixed, the city will write them a ticket.

    As far as getting you plant back, you could sue them in small claims court, but unless you claim that you watched dog do it, you would not likely win.

  6. cutsiepie123 says:


    The most appropriate way to handel the situation would be to write a letter to the homeowners association and tell them what is going on. If you dont have one, I would tell the neighbors that the dog has now made damage to your house and you may fine them if they do not fix the fence.
    Sorrry for the problems and I hope this will help.

    Good Luck

  7. e w says:

    Take Jacobi’s remains and bury them decently, where he was once rooted–he’s used to that spot.

    Say some words over him, a decent Christian burial.

  8. tro says:

    if this is a dangerous dog you should report it to any authorities where you live
    you probably will have to have some documentation that proves the danger the dog poses to you and your possessions but I doubt you are going to recoup anything for the plant

  9. PJ says:

    Wait until the next time their dog is in your yard, and then call animal control and have the dog taken away.

  10. Pamela says:

    Get the camera out today and shoot the remains of the plant and the fence while it’s in disrepair. Sue in Small Claims court–where you act as your own attorney. Get some nursery to put a value on the plant. Go to mediation first and claim the amount of the valuation of the plant. Show pictures of the fence, and of the plant remains. Of the dog if you can get a picture. I would try to value the plant at replacement cost, plus the value of the plant IN YOUR YARD and growing. I would present as much evidence as you have of prior incidents with the dog, and your requests that your neighbors fix the fence.

    You will unlikely lose money, because there is a small claims court filing fee. You can try to get that back. You will also have film processing costs, and you will have your time invested. But you will get your point across. I’m sure the fence will get fixed, but I doubt those neighbors will ever speak to you again.

    Short of this, let them know you want the fence fixed and funds to replace the plant. You are within your rights to ask this. Personally, I would do this rather delicately, and wouldn’t humiliate them at all. You will be able to live with yourself , too.

Copyright © 2011 Fences for Dogs. All Rights Reserved. About Us | Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Site Map